Section 1018 of Public Law 116-315, Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020
Section 1018 of Public Law 116-315, Johnny Isakson and David P. Roe, M.D. Veterans Health Care and Benefits Improvement Act of 2020 requires that educational institutions participating in the educational assistance programs of the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) provide students with certain financial information and other requirements.
Section 1018 codifies in statute the following requirements:
Schools must provide a covered individual (a student using benefits under chapter 30, 31, 32, 33, or 35 of title 38, U.S.C., or chapter 1606 of title 10, U.S.C.) with a personalized shopping sheet that contains:
- Estimated total cost of the course that includes tuition, fees, books, supplies and any other additional costs.
- Estimated cost of living expenses.
- Amount of costs above that are covered by VA Education Benefits.
- Other types of Federal financial aid, not administered by VA that is offered by the institution, that the individual may be qualified to receive.
- Estimated amount of student loan debt the individual would have upon graduation.
- Information regarding graduation rates.
- Information regarding job-placement rates for graduates, if available.
- Information regarding the acceptance of transfer credits including military credits.
- Any additional requirements including training, experience, or examinations that are required to obtain a license, certification or approval for which the course of education prepares the individual.
- Other information to facilitate comparison by the individual about aid packages offered by different educational institutions.